Nigeria's female national football team Super Falcons pose for a group photo before the final of Aisha Buhari Invitational tournament at the Mobolaji Johnson Arena in Lagos state, Nigeria Sept. 21, 2021. South Africa's female national football team Banyana Banyana on Tuesday night emerged champions of the maiden edition of the Aisha Buhari Invitational Women's Tournament after defeating the Super Falcons of Nigeria 4-2 in the last game. (Photo by Emma Houston/Xinhua via Getty Images)
The Super Falcons of Nigeria who are on fire will Monday morning, precisely at 11am, play their final group match against the Republic of Ireland.
The match will be played at the Suncorp stadium.
The Falcons sit on top of the table with four points earned through a win, a draw and a superior goal difference.
Nigeria’s all attacking and all defending side are most certainly among the tournament’s emerging discoveries.
Against Canada, the Olympic champions, Nigeria was no pushover. The Super Falcons fought for space, fought for the ball in every department and earned a well deserved draw at full time.
In the end, it was Chiamaka Nnadozie who stoutly stood between Canada and victory as her daring dives and ball saves kept Nigeria’s hope above water.
Face to face with the co – hosts in the second match, Nigeria turned on the heat, defeating the home side by three silid goals to two.
Beautiful in attack, superlative in the midfield and impressive in defence, Nigeria equally set up a fair chance of securing a place in the round of 16 by posting the win in the “battle of Brisbane” played in Group B last Thursday.
The Falcons’ first goal and equaliser was tucked in by Uchenna Kalu. Kalu tapped home Ajibade’s deflected shot as the curtain fell on the first half.
Osinachi Ohale and Asisat Oshoala went on to score two sweet goals to earn maximum points for the team.
Nigeria may have to learn a little lesson from the Korea Republic which suffered a surprise zero-one defeat in the hands of Morroco in a Group A pairing.
The Nigerians are however vowing that they will not underrate the Irish who have lost every game since the group matches began.
From the blast of the whistle, coach of the Falcons who are already soaring high says, the Nigerians would take the fight to the Irish half of the field, probing, tackling, dribbling and firing from all cylinders until they succeed in breaking down the resolve of their opponents.
Analysts are predicting that Nigeria has a 42% probability chance of carrying the day while another 30% predict Ireland may eventually run away with its first victory in the competition. Only 28% think the match will end in a draw.
A victory for Ireland would give that country three points and no chance of qualification. But it may deny Nigeria the opportunity of remaining group leaders and completely put the nation’s qualification in jeopardy, particularly if Australia wins and Canada were to score to gain some advantage via shifts in goals difference.
But a victory for Nigeria will keep her in the top position on the table and ensure that she faces a less formidable qualifier from another Group in the round of 16.
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.